George D. Tesch served as a Chicago Board of Education staff architect for many years. Born in New Jersey, Tesch practiced architecture in Ohio for a few years before arriving in Chicago. Hired by the Board of Education in 1921, Tesch worked under the supervision of John C. Christensen and Edgar D. Martin, when the […]
Johnston & Edelmann designed the King School (on Harrison Street, near Western) and five other elementary schools, including the Ward School, located on South Shields Avenue. Ward School, now a Chicago landmark, is the only extant example of the firm’s school designs.
During Williamson’s short tenure as acting architect he was credited with designing an addition to Nixon School and producing plans for Graham School.
Willett’s work included designing the South Division High School, which no longer stands.
Charles Rudolph is credited with designing the Burroughs, Ryerson, and Hammond schools, among others.
In Chicago, Randall designed, residences, commercial structures, churches, and schools, including the original Newberry, Skinner, and Haven schools and five smaller branch schools.
Perkins’s schools were often quite simple and even bold in their appearance. While earlier schools had fanciful cut-stone embellishments, he created earth-toned brick buildings that emphasized geometric planes and had minimalistic terra cotta details.
During his two-year tenure, Patton designed numerous schools, including Lake View High School, Andrew Jackson (now Galileo Math and Science Academy), and Frank Jirka (now Pilsen Elementary Community Academy).
Mundie’s work included the Chicago Parental School (no longer extant), Wendell Phillips High School, and Armour, Coonley, Hamilton, Patrick Henry, Plamondon, Darwin, Jungman, and Sullivan elementary schools.
Martin’s designs include Hirsch Junior High School (now Hirsch Metropolitan High School), as well as Hale, Nightingale, O’Keeffe, Scammon, Peck, Lewis, Ruggles, and Coles elementary schools.