Chicago architect Julius Sigismund Ender was born in Korningsberg, Germany, in 1851, and immigrated to the United States in 1870. By 1875, Ender was practicing architecture in Chicago, where he became a naturalized citizen later that year.
Ender was one of three architects – the others being Frederick Baumann and James Willett – who served in quick succession as Architect to the Chicago Board of Education in 1882. Following Baumann’s resignation, the Board appointed Ender “Architect and Supervisor of Construction” in June, 1882. On October 12th, Ender himself resigned at the request of the Board’s Building and Grounds Committee, which stated in a June, 1883 report that Ender “did not inspire confidence in his ability to satisfactorily secure the interests of the Board, in connection with a proper and careful supervision of the work in progress.”
During the few short months of his tenure, Ender designed the new North Division High School (now Ruben Salazar Elementary Bilingual Center) at Wells and Wendell streets. North Division High was one of three high schools the Board had determined were needed to accommodate the growing population of older students in three-year “classical” and four-year “full” courses. For North Division High, Ender designed a 3-1/2 story Romanesque structure with a rusticated stone base, red brick load-bearing walls, and an ornate, pedimented cornice. The new high school opened in September 1883, by which time Ender was long gone from the Board’s employ.
Ender continued to practice architecture in Chicago until his death in 1906. He is buried at Graceland Cemetery.