Charles Rudolph served as Architect to the Chicago Board of Education from December, 1888 through December, 1890. He is credited with designing the Burroughs, Ryerson, and Hammond schools, among others. (Hammond School uniquely retains only a first story remnant of Rudolph’s original building, with a rusticated masonry base and arched window openings along W. 21st Place.)
Born in St. Louis on March 22, 1854, Charles Rudolph received his early education and training in Chicago. He attended Dyrenfurth Academy and studied architecture with the firm Bauer & Loebnitz and then with Augustus Bauer alone. In 1877, Rudolph left Chicago to study at the Vienna Polytechnicum, from which he graduated with honors in 1881.
Upon his return to Chicago, Rudolph began practicing architecture, soon teaming up with C. J. Furst. Through the 1890s, Furst & Rudolph designed a number of homes, including the Alexander Campbell residence on Chicago’s West Jackson Boulevard, ca. 1887, as well as other types of buildings, such as a store for John York on South Halsted Street, completed in 1888. Rudolph was a member of the Western Architects Association and a fellow of the American Institute of Architects. He died in early 1901 in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, having spent time in a sanitarium there the preceding year. (Although The American Institute of Architects Quarterly Bulletin, July, 1902, reported Rudolph’s date of death as January 31, 1902, this appears to have been a typographical error, as the Chicago Tribune published his obituary on February 1, 1901.)