Born in Topeka, Kansas, Arthur Howell Knox (1880 – 1973) graduated from Northwestern University in 1902. Two years later, he joined the Chicago Architecture Club. The Board of Education hired Knox as a draftsman in 1906. Three years later, he and fellow draftsman Clarence Hatzfeld decided to form a partnership. (Hatzfeld had already established a private practice, working part time in the old Tribune Building, a large downtown structure that also housed the Board of Education’s architectural offices.) By the end of 1909, both Hatzfeld and Knox had resigned from their Board of Education positions. Hatzfeld & Knox was a busy architectural practice producing plans for many residences, the Independence Park field house, and several commercial buildings. Sometime in 1915, they dissolved the partnership. Knox went on to work in the office of Prairie style architect George Nimmons for several years, and then began practicing on his own. In the early 1920s, he won a competition to design Sigma Alpha Epsilon Temple in Evanston. Constructed in 1929, the building was especially important to Knox, who had been a member of the fraternity years earlier. During the early 1940s, he worked for the Federal Housing Agency in Washington, D.C. Throughout most of his life, however, Knox lived in Evanston, designing a number of buildings there, including a fire station which was constructed in the mid-1950s.