Designed by William Bryce Mundie, the Chicago Parental School was located at West Foster and North Central Park Avenues from 1902 to 1975. This residential facility was meant to help educate and rehabilitate troubled boys. The Parental School Movement, which had begun in Europe, sought to remove juvenile delinquents from negative influences, and provide them with a clean and healthy environment, a good education, and moral training.
The complex included administration buildings, cottages where boys lived with couples to simulate family life, and classroom and manual training facilities. It also included a farm with animals, and gardens where the residents worked and cultivated the land. Today, the site of the old Parental School is occupied by Northeastern Illinois University and WTTW.